Are you a communications expert passionate about addressing global environmental challenges in the real world? Come work for the Global Water Security Center at the University of Alabama!
We are a small team commissioned to respond to our nation’s need for water and environmental security insights. GWSC works to operationalize water science and translate data into tailored information for decision makers – that means we need a communications wiz to work closely with our analysts and data wonks to make our work impactful. There’s lot to do, and you’ll have the opportunity to play a key role in shaping how GWSC communicates with our stakeholders.
Some of what we’re looking for is below. Read the full job advertisement and apply here.
Skills and Knowledge
- Plan and execute communications and marketing strategies;
- Balance and manage multiple ongoing projects simultaneously with minimal supervision;
- Provide expert advice and guidance to GWSC leadership on communications strategies and tactics to enhance the Center’s reputation and mission;
- Engage in high-level planning around GWSC products and services and how the communications function can support their success;
- Write and edit a wide range of materials, including research briefs, annual reports, opinion articles, website content, blog posts, social media posts, etc.;
- Use advanced storytelling techniques to interpret complex information into a format that is easily understandable by a wide audience;
- Identify and reach out to media contacts to garner media coverage of GWSC’s work, when appropriate, and in collaboration with The University of Alabama’s Division of Strategic Communications;
- Manage the overall brand integrity and creative direction for GWSC collateral, including the GWSC website, presentations, reports, etc., in collaboration with The University of Alabama’s Division of Strategic Communications;
- Develop creative communication methods to attract and retain GWSC clients and data providers, working within specific constraints of communication to primarily U.S. government entities;
- Create or oversee the creation of compelling infographics that support GWSC’s written communication efforts;
- Foster positive, collaborative relationships with a team of professionals within the GWSC, including analysts, graphic designers, programmers, etc.;
- Manage positive relationships with communications vendors;
- Provide hands-on guidance and mentorship for GWSC student workers.
- Adobe Creative Cloud, including Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Spark, etc.
- Social media management, including hands-on experience with a social media management and/or analytics platform; direct experience with Sprinklr preferred
- Advocacy and political communications;
- An environmental or scientific organization, with an understanding of issues related to the environment and water;
- Working with or communicating government agencies (e.g., the Department of Defense, NASA, etc.).